Thursday, November 13, 2008

Modern Times: Glimmers of Faith

Chapter 3

Beyond the Horizon

Beyond the horizon Behind the sun, At the end of the rainbow Life has only begun. In the long hours of twilight 'Neath the stardust above, Beyond the horizon It is easy to love. I'm touched with desire What won't I do? Through flame and through fire I'll build my world around You. Beyond the horizon In the springtime or fall, Love waits forever For one and for all. Beyond the horizon Across the divide, Round about midnight We'll be on the same side. Down in the valley The water runs cold, Beyond the horizon Someone prayed for your soul. My wretched heart is pounding I felt an angel's kiss, My memories are drowning In mortal bliss. Beyond the horizon At the end of the game, Every step that You take I'm walking the same. Beyond the horizon The night winds blow, The theme of a melody From many moons ago. The bells of St Mary's How sweetly they chime, Beyond the horizon I found You just in time. It's dark and it's dreary I've been pleading in vain, I'm wounded I'm weary My repentance is plain. Beyond the horizon Over the treacherous sea, I still can't believe You've set aside Your love for me. Beyond the horizon Beneath crimson skies, In the soft light of morning I'll follow You with my eyes. Through countries and kingdoms And temples of stone, Beyond the horizon Right down to the bone. It's the right time of the season Somebody there always cared, There's always a reason Why someone's life has been spared. Beyond the horizon The sky is so blue, I've got more than a lifetime To live loving You.

When the Deal Goes Down

In the still of the night, in the world's ancient light Where wisdom grows up in strife My bewildering brain toils in vain Through the darkness On the pathways of life. Each invisible prayer is like a cloud in the air Tomorrow keeps turning around We live and we die we know not why But I'll be with you when the deal goes down. We eat and we drink we feel and we think Far down the street we stray, I laugh and I cry and I'm haunted by Things I never meant nor wished to say The midnight rain follows the train We all wear the same thorny crown Soul to soul our shadows roll And I'll be with you when the deal goes down. Well the moon gives light and it shines by night When I scarcely feel the glow We learn to live and then we forgive O'er the road we're bound to go More frailer than the flowers these precious hours That keep us so tightly bound You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies And I'll be with you when the deal goes down. Well I picked up a rose and it poked through my clothes I followed the winding stream I heard the deafening noise I felt transient joys I know they're not what they seem In this earthly domain full of disappointment and pain You'll never see me frown I owe my heart to you And that's sayin' it true And I'll be with you When the deal goes down.

Aint Talkin

As I walked out tonight in the mystic garden The wounded flowers were dangling from the vine I was passing by yon cool crystal fountain Someone hit me from behind. Ain't talkin' just walkin' Through this weary world of woe Heart burnin' still yearnin' No one on earth would ever know. They say prayer has the power to heal So pray for me mother In the human heart an evil spirit can dwell I'm a-tryin' to love my neighbor and do good unto others But oh mother things ain't going well. Ain't talkin' just walkin' I'll burn that bridge before you can cross. Heart burnin' still yearnin' There'll be no mercy for you once you've lost. Now I'm all worn down by weeping, My eyes are filled with tears, my lips are dry If I catch my opponents ever sleeping I'll just slaughter 'em where they lie. Ain't talkin' just walkin' Through the world mysterious and vague, Heart burnin' still yearnin' Walkin' through the cities of the plague. Well the whole world is filled with speculation The whole wide world which people say is round They will tear your mind away from contemplation They will jump on your misfortune when you're down. Ain't talkin' just walkin' Eatin' hog-eyed grease in a hog-eyed town. Heart burnin' still yearnin' Some day you'll be glad to have me around. They will crush you with wealth and power Every waking moment you could crack I'll make the most of one last extra hour I'll revenge my father's death then I'll step back Ain't talkin' just walkin' Hand me down my walkin' cane. Heart burnin' still yearnin' Got to get you out of my miserable brain. All my loyal and my much-loved companions They approve of me and share my code I practice a faith that's been long abandoned Ain't no altars on this long and lonesome road. Ain't talkin' just walkin' My mule is sick my horse is blind. Heart burnin' still yearnin' Thinkin 'bout that gal I left behind Well it's bright in the heavens and the wheels are flyin' Fame and honor never seem to fade The fire gone out but the light is never dyin' Who says I can't get heavenly aid? Ain't talkin' just walkin' Carryin' a dead man's shield Heart burnin' still yearnin' Walkin' with a toothache in my heel. The sufferin' is unending Every nook and cranny has its tears I'm not playing I'm not pretending I'm not nursin' any superfluous fears. Ain't talkin' just walkin' Walkin' ever since the other night. Heart burnin' still yearnin' Walkin' 'til I'm clean out of sight. As I walked out in the mystic garden On a hot summer day a hot summer lawn Excuse me ma'am I beg your pardon There's no one here the gardener is gone. Ain't talkin' just walkin' Up the road around the bend. Heart burnin' still yearnin' In the last outback at the world's end.

Thunder on the Mountain

Thunder on the mountain and there's fires on the moon Ruckus in the alley and the Son will be here soon. Today's the day, gonna grab my trombone and blow Well there's hot stuff here and it's everywhere I go. I was thinkin' 'bout Alicia Keys, couldn't keep from crying When she was born in Hell's Kitchen, I was living down the line. I'm wondering where in the world Alicia Keys could be I been looking for her even clear through Tennessee. Feel like my soul is beginning to expand Look into my heart and you will sort of understand. You brought me here, now you're trying to run me away. The writing on the wall, come read it, come see what it say Thunder on the mountain, rollin' like a drum Gonna sleep over there, that's where the music coming from. I don't need any guide, I already know the way Remember this, I'm your servant both night and day The pistols are poppin' and the power is down I'd like to try somethin' but I'm so far from town The sun keeps shinin' and the North Wind keeps picking up speed Gonna forget about myself for a while, gonna go out and see what others need I've been sittin' down studyin' the art of love I think it will fit me like a glove I want some real good woman to do just what I say Everybody got to wonder what's the matter with this cruel world today Thunder on the mountain, rolling to the ground Gonna get up in the morning, walk the hard road down Some sweet day I'll stand beside my king I wouldn't betray your love or any other thing Gonna raise me an army, some tough sons of bitches I'll recruit my army from the orphanages I been to St Herman's church, said my religious vows I've sucked the milk out of a thousand cows I got the porkchops, she got the pie She ain't no angel and neither am I Shame on your greed, shame on your wicked schemes I'll say this, I don't give a damn about your dreams Thunder on the mountain, heavy as can be Mean old twister bearing down on me All the ladies in Washington, scrambling to get out of town Looks like something bad gonna happen, better roll your airplane down Everybody going and I want to go too Don't wanna take a chance with somebody new I did all I could, I did it right there and then I've already confessed, no need to confess again Gonna make a lot of money, gonna go up north I'll plant and I'll harvest what the earth brings forth The hammer's on the table, the pitchfork's on the shelf For the love of God, you ought to take pity on yourself.

No comments: